Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Good News and Good News

We were able to host a couple of functions in our newly remodeled living room. It has been a 6 month project that included sanding down the oak floors and refinishing them, plastering a couple of walls, making the entrance larger by ripping out a pocket door, changing the lighting scheme, building and installing base boards, learning how to cut cove molding. And finally yesterday installing my home crafted threshold boards. We hung some pictures on Monday and its looking pretty homey. This all started because we put in a new window, which necessitated new drapes, which required a new paint job...but that wouldn't match the old carpet, and while we're at it lets make the door bigger, etc, etc.
Our progress was slowed somewhat by the fact that I was diagnosed with leukemia in the middle of it all which gave me a great excuse to lay around more and put things off till later, which I did. But the second good news was that on Tuesday I jogged 2 miles in the early morning. Its been about one year since I had done that before. It was last March when I started getting the shortness of breath and the weakness that I figured was tied to some sort of lung problem. In reality I had bad blood, the cells weren't getting the oxygen to their proper areas of need. My blood was running kind of like the U.S. Postal Service. Today, after a productive (costly, but productive) trip to the dentist I went to the cancer clinic and had them do a blood test, which showed that my blood is now much more like UPS or DHL. I have the right amounts of nearly everything and I'm feeling pretty good.
I continually get people telling me how much better I look, man I must have been UGLY before.

5 comments:

hosander said...

that's good. Thanks for the update, maybe now you can get some things done around my house too. Just kidding. although I have discovered that yard work really makes you crave soda - now I completely understand.

Beetle said...

I didn't want to say anything . . . but since you brought it up . . .

The living room looks great. Sorry Toni, but my room is next.

Thaddeus said...

Ahem. Butterknife Estates needs new carpet downstairs...

Petrea said...

It's so great to read that your health is improving! I can't wait to see the new, improved living room. How ambitious you are to take on remodeling projects now!

Bus Gillespie said...

I have quite a list of projects to get going on, but I've been doing my taxes and it has sucked all the ambition out of me.